Sunday, February 03, 2008

This is Where I Live


Socks for Waiting
Originally uploaded by littlekidd
I'm giving the socks a front row seat to Portland's rain show, as seen from the dry side of my windshield. These are "Serendipity," the first package from the Blue Moon folks in this year's Rockin' Sock Club.

I live in Portland. During this bleak midwinter, I also live in my car. The gutsier among us don rain pants and ride bikes, but I can't do it. Not this year -- the worst I can remember in the 10 I've lived here.

So, I spend a lot of my day in this driver's seat. Driving to school, then to work, then back to school where I park in this spot and wait and knit and listen to NPR's "Fresh Air." Some days I only manage five minutes. But when I get 20 it makes me a much nicer chauffeur for the little people who come streaming out of the building when the bell rings. From here it's on to soccer or gymnastics or taekwondo or who knows where. More opportunities to sit and wait. And knit.

The sun is making a feeble but persistent effort on this day. Do you see it? Over on the right side of the frame. Rain won out in the end, but soon.... SO soon it will start to get better.

I've been poking around Ravelry these past few days and it is super cool. I still would much rather have my nose in my needles than a computer screen, which is why I am just now discovering its greatness. It's also why I don't blog nearly enough.

Taking pictures is the other problem with regular blogging. Natural light is at a premium these days in the dreary Northwest. How to find the light, take the pictures, get them into the computer, upload them, and write?

Yikes! I have the best intentions, but obviously I need to figure out how to streamline my process and quit whining.

When the sun comes back out I'll be much easier to take.

1 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

So great to hear from you! What's your Ravelry name? Mine is AllisonDragonfly. Pretty pathetic I know but I was stumped when I had to fill it in. I didn't join Rockin club this year - did last year and haven't knit with a SINGLE skein! Must-get-to-it. I did sell one sken on eBay as I didn't like the color only to find out quickly that was a major No No. Ooops!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home