Thursday, February 01, 2007



S is for Sweater


I grieve over this gansey
Originally uploaded by littlekidd.
S is also for sucks. As in... This Sweater Sucks.

That is, unless you have a chest shaped like Montana, arms like a baboon, and a head like Herman Munster (am I dating myself here? Anybody remember the Munsters?)

Actually, I can wear this floppy sweater... and I probably will just because it took so bloody long to make. I made it for Jim for Christmas. It's "fulled" or lightly felted, so it's really soft. But the fulling process turned it from a huge, proportional sweater to a less huge (but still fairly giant) too-short-with-long-arms-and- a-big-neckhole sweater. Ok, I confess, the neckhole was big to begin with. But Jim has a big head, so I thought it would be okay.

The issue is not really this sweater. Emotionally, I can throw the sweater in the (ever-growing) pile of odd-shaped learning experiences. The issue is that Jim doesn't wear sweaters. You would think I would know that by now. We've been married almost 14 years. I've made him one other sweater which does fit, and which he wears once or twice a year, I think out of pity. It's a nice sweater. Jim just doesn't like sweaters. I need to concede that.

So, I'm asking for help. I want to make things for Jim. Socks are good, but what else? Here in Portland the temps rarely dip below 40F for more than a few hours. Some people wear Birkenstocks all year. Jim is a fairly conservative dresser. He's a tech-head, but I think a lime green laptop cover would probably not go over well.

His birthday is in June, so we have a reasonable head start. Ideas?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Test

7:36 PM  
Blogger Jim LIttle, MD said...

Hey! I like the sweaters... really! The problem isn't my big head... it is the neck of the sweater. It makes me look like Jennifer Beals (sp?) in the movie Flashdance with one shoulder hanging out. But lets keep it... I hear the 80's are coming back into fashion. Really! (And a lime green laptop cover sounds great!)

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no. That is really sad, a labor of love gone awry. From my view at least, your sweater is beautiful. What a lovely color too. I hope you will wear it.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home