Monday, January 29, 2007

Epiphany


Dream Weaver
Originally uploaded by littlekidd.
Or, when there are many, is it epiphani (epiphanae?)

The Madrona Fiber Arts Festival in Tacoma was a positively religious experience. It was my first time there, and I looked every bit the Madrona virgin. I came, I saw, I gawked. I met SO many interesting people. I knit till my hands hurt. I slept as little as possible.

Here's my swatch from Helen Hamann's. class. Helen's weaving and surface embellishment techniques are making me completely rethink how I work with color. It's kind of a marriage between knitting and weaving and needlepoint, and the results are wild and amazingly fun to create. If you haven't seen it, check out her Andean Inspired Knits.

I'm making a Darth Vader sweater for Zack for birthday no. 5. I had anticipated a galactic battle with intarsia, but now after Helen's class I am totally rethinking my design. Stay tuned!

I loved finally meeting The Harlot. I was a star-struck idiot. She was gracious and poised as usual. How must it feel to sit at a table for book signings with a bunch of big-name knitting designer-authors, and know that most of the people in line are there to see you? A little squirmy, I imagine. And yet, that very humility is what draws us to Stephanie in the first place. Thank you, Stephanie, for being a voice for all of us, and a voice for doing good in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home