Monday, February 12, 2007

Force... with Ewe


"Zack, I am your sweater."
Originally uploaded by littlekidd.
I'm making this for Zack for his 5th birthday. Let me stress that we are not one of those super-obsessed Star Wars families. (We do own the entire Lord of the Rings triology on DVD, but it's my husband's thing. While I recognize its cinematographic excellence, I can't get past feeling that some of those guys should brush their teeth.. maybe just once?)

Sorry. I digress. Back to Darth. This sweater is a surprise for Zack. His birthday is March 14th. HE is fairly obsessed with the whole Star Wars thing. I'm going to use a cool weaving technique I learned from Helen Hamann at Madrona to overstich the details of Darth's face in all of its ominous metallic glory.

Has anyone else knit with superwash wool? This is Cascade 220 Superwash. Is it really suppsed to feel like it was knit with Vietnamese rice noodles when you get it wet? Blocking was more than a little disconcerting.

This dried OK, but still feels flimsy, especially around the joins where the color changes. I keep reminding myself it's for a five-year-old. He will be over the moon even if it isn't perfect.

Next time, though, I think I'll use regular wool and take my chances on the mustard stains.

4 Comments:

Blogger m. said...

Did you chart Darth Vader out on your own or are you using a pattern?? Adorable!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Just be sure your yarn ends are woven in really well. Because the superwash will not really felt. Your son will be so happy with the Darth Vader. It will be very cool with the metallic overlay.

9:48 PM  
Blogger littledevilworks said...

SO CUTE! :)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ok, Darth is too cute. Your son is a lucky boy.

Zack, I am your sweater!

Priceless.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home