Saturday, February 03, 2007

Here's hoping


Sweater for Me!
Originally uploaded by littlekidd.
This time of year in Portland we're hanging by a thread. It has been either cold or rainy or both more often than not since Halloween. The days are supposedly getting longer, but we can't really tell yet. It seems like the sun doesn't come up before 8 a.m. and it starts to get dark around 3:30 p.m.

But in these first few days of February we see signs of hope. For me it was the one spectacularly sunny and (almost) warm day this past week. Walking to school to pick up Zack I noticed flower buds lying in wait on the big Daphne bush down the street.

Within the next couple of weeks we'll start to notice the sun shining later in the day. We'll start dreaming about summer barbeques and crabbing at the coast. It will still be rainy and cold a lot of the time (like today), but the occasional sunny days will carry us through.

I'm hoping to approach the summer season with a more fit body. Slimming down will be a by-product of getting in shape. I'm working out 4 or 5 times/week, and have been for the past couple of months. Already I feel better.

So here's a sweater I'm knitting for me. I'm knitting it a size smaller than usual. My friend Cheri put it best when she said, "Knitting a sweater is a process. So is losing weight." So there. No magic bullets. No shortcuts for either one.

This is a hard sweater. If it doesn't fit when I'm done I'm going to be pissed at myself. So, now every time I want to skip the gym and eat a bowl of Ben and Jerry's I just pull out the sweater and knit a row. And then I go to the gym.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors you are using. They remind me of a sock I am knitting for my mom.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't wait for spring here in seattle. I have been wanting to take another yarn trip to portland what is your favorite shop? I hit lint and liked it Knit Purl was ok a little pricey though. I hear I missed a great shop while I was down there

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carolyn - the sweater is fabulous in design and color and will be a great motivator to keep up on your gym visits! Think of the exercise time as minutes to mentally create your next knitted masterpiece (rather than miles to run or steps to climb)! I'll be cheering for you :).

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home