Monday, February 06, 2006

Pirate as a Verb


DragonScarf
Originally uploaded by littlekidd.
No, I did not knit this scarf... yet. I signed up to make a pirate vest for the Knitting Olympics (logo now front and center in the sidebar, thanks to help from Aimee.)

I am reconsidering my choice. Imagine a 4-year-old with a skull and crossbones plastered across his sweater. Now fast foward and see that same kid, now 16 and motivated subconsciously by the fashion choices his mother made for him as a tyke, dressed in severe, painful looking clothing no parent in her right mind would approve. I figured my original plan for a pirate vest was really just a recipe for disaster, so I've altered my plans slightly.

For the Olympics, I'm going to make a vest for my son. I'm going to PIRATE motifs from two different knitting books. The first is Nicky Epstein's Nasty Dog Dragon from Scarf Style, which will be plastered across the vest's back. I'm going to make up a tail which curls around the front a bit, and shares belly real estate with the "Gingerbread Castle" from Barbara Walker's "Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns."

This is all theory so far, but I think it will work. I've never done intarsia before (Go Jamaican Bobsled Team!) so I'm going be proud of myself if I finish the dragon before the flame goes out, let alone the whole vest. I'm going to gather the colors in Elsbeth Lavold's Silky Wool tomorrow. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carolyn!

Carla called me an told me about your blog. Enjoying reading it. I'm a little worried now about my choice of clothing / knitting for my kindergartener.

See ya at the shop.
Dawn

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home