Friday, February 27, 2009

Why Leigh Radford is a GODDESS!


Northern Lights Hat
Originally uploaded by littlekidd
OK, first, let me say that self-portraits are not my strong suit. Especially when I'm shooting into the snow. (Alison, any pointers from a pro photographer?) This isn't the greatest picture of my Northern Lights hat, but I thought the ice formations in the upper left corner of the frame looked cool, so there you have it. Plus I didn't have any shoes on when I was taking this picture, so time was of the essence, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I wear this hat ALL the time. I love it. You may ask, what does this have to do with Leigh Radford? Well, nothing but a tangential experience that occurred in my brain.

Yesterday I was wearing my Northern Lights Hat when I took seven first-grade boys out on a little snowshoe jaunt behind the school. The boys spotted a ton of moose and bunny tracks and it was snowing and beautiful and I thought, "Man! What a lucky thing to have kids and have fun with them!" (I even thought this as I had to stop every 20 seconds and refasten a lost snowshoe to one boy or another).

Thinking of how lucky I am to be a mom made me think of the many good friends of mine who will be come first-time moms this spring. Then with a jolt I realized I have FIVE babies coming into my friends' lives in May, and only ONE little sweater made. That one little sweater is darling and cabled and knit at six stitches to the inch and I could never knock out four more by May.

Enter Leigh Radford. Last year I helped a knitting student with the Baby Bolero pattern found in her wonderful book One Skein. I remember thinking it seemed clever, and squirreling away plans to knit one myself when the opportunity presented itself.

Well. Now I have two friends each with a sets of twins on the way. So dug a little Cascade 220 Superwash Paints out of my stash and set to work. In the time it took to watch Survivor and The Daily Show, I had the thing mostly done! It is wee and wonderful. Thank you, Leigh Radford! I will love making more of these. After I get the next one done I'll post a picture of the two, and you can imagine those tiny little twin girls filling them up in a couple of months!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home