Saturday, April 01, 2006

Floppy But Finished


Via Diagonale
Originally uploaded by littlekidd.
'Nuff said. If any of you experts out there (Nat... help!) Have suggestions for shoring up the top of this bag, please let me know. I don't sew with a machine, and I'm too lazy to line it (though I did cover a doubled-over Fedex box with bag liner fabric and tack it to the bottom. Somebody suggested "boning," but I can't find it anywhere. Does it go by a different name (something similar to the underwire in a bra?)

Hmmm...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhh....I think there are some websites that cover "boning" techniques in detail. I mean, that's what I heard once. At a knitting conference. In Canada.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Thanks, Nat! Yeh... I was afraid you were going to say that. maybe a little upholstery fabric on the inside would help. I was aprehensive about the yarn before I even started, but at the time there wasn't anything at the shop that qualified as stiff enough. I'm going to recommend Elsebeth Lavold's "Hempathy" doubled if I get anybody to sign up for this class.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Ina said...

Maybe tacking the bag to plastic needlepoint canvas would work. Cut the plastic to size, round off the corners, whipstitch the sides, then place inside the bag and tack.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Dharmafey said...

Boning is the stuff that makes corsets stiff enough to cinch you in. It's found in the notions section in sewing stores, by the yard. It'd work, but it still involves some sewing!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home